Sunday, July 8, 2007

Bad-beat addendum

It occurs to me that out of fairness to the lucky Red Sox bastard who took me out of the tournament (see A feel-good bad beat story) I should acknowledge that he did in fact start with a better hand than I did -- ace-queen to ace-10.

Red Sox Bastard was ahead before the flop and he was ahead on the flop, when neither of us had anything and his ace-high notched my ace-high. I caught a lucky card on the turn -- one of the four nines in the deck to make my straight -- and he caught an only slightly luckier card on the river -- one of the three remaining 10s -- to make a bigger straight and win.

Yes, he “sucked out,” as they say, on the river. But I sucked out first, on the turn.

Like the steal-resteal play I described earlier, this sequence of events isn't all that uncommon, and it too has its own name: suck and re-suck.

It still sucked. But I'm just saying.

No comments: