Monday, July 9, 2007

How Many Hits, Pete?


Pete Rose was signing autographs at some memorabilia store yesterday. I couldn't figure out why he looked so pissed when this guy standing in front of the counter says "How many hits did you have, Pete?"

"A Lot," Pete says, scowling.

"No, really, how many? How many?"

I snap a few shots. Mark's waiting outside, so I tell him about the guy asking Pete how many hits.

"4,167," Mark says. As in, Duh.

"Most hits ever," he says.

So, the heckler knew how many hits, I guess, and Pete knew he knew, which is why he was acting like such a dick.

Today's USA Today listed all the greatest sports scandals, and Pete Rose was number one, ahead of O.J., Balco and Tonya Harding. Harsh.

3 comments:

Mark said...

It's actually 4,256 hits. I forgot about those last hundred or so. -- mm

Anonymous said...

Thank you for pointing that out before I had to ...

Anonymous said...

You write very well.